Thursday, April 30, 2009

Laziness Continued

I am a fan of taking steps out of processes. Before tonight in my TinyCAD library creation process I had to do a few things:

  1. Update my CSV file with new attributes and/or data

  2. Update the schematic symbols in TinyCAD

  3. Export the symbol library as XML to a certain folder

  4. Run a Python script to turn each symbol in that XML file into its own XML file

  5. Run my main library creation Python script

  6. Open TinyCAD to check for errors. If any symbols are wrong, repeat from the second step


I hadn't really used it earnestly yet but it seemed like too many steps. So I decided to add functionality to my library creation script to pull the symbol data from the symbol library file directly instead of XML files created from that library. Tonight I got it to work, so now the process is:

  1. Update CSV file

  2. Update symbols in TinyCAD

  3. Run library generation script

  4. Check for errors


This is a great improvement. I may actually get work done now!

No comments: